Moorfields referral guidance for 2WW & General Ophthalmology
The Covid-19 pandemic has delayed many routine appointments and admissions. To help us make sure that we are still able to see those patients who require an urgent review, we have issued some guidance for referrals.
2 week wait referrals (2WW)
- GPs and/or opticians must use the Pan-London 2WW referral form for all suspected cancer referrals
- This is in keeping with other medical specialties. This removes ambiguity in the referral and provides clinicians with more information when triaging to ensure the patient is seen in a clinically appropriate timeframe and with the correct clinical team.
- The Pan-London 2WW referral form is a requirement and we are seeing more and more instances where this has not been used, or insufficient referral information is sent.
- The DOS for 2WW services clearly states the need for a completed 2WW proforma, referral, and images (if relevant).
- Please add the relevant information at the point of referral. Without this, the referral will be rejected and this will lead to a delay in the patient’s care.
General Ophthalmology referrals
Many of our patients are referred to Moorfields from primary care following an optician’s request. Please see guidance points below, this will ensure your patient is seen by the right clinician will avoid delays in the patient’s pathway:
- Please can GPs select the appropriate specialty on ERS, especially if the optician has specified which specialty is required, and not use General Ophthalmology just because the wait time may be shorter.
- Please clearly state the reason for referral and attach the Opticians report (GOS18)
- Patients being referred back to Moorfields for the same condition and have been seen by a specific clinical team previously, please refer the patient back to the same service through ERS. The current DOS for specialities clearly outlines which conditions are appropriate.
For further information, please contact our booking team on 0207 566 2357, Option 1
Moorfields Booking Centre