Keeping Children safe - button battery and magnetic toy risks


In the UK, Children’s toys are covered by safety regulations which require batteries to be enclosed in a secure compartment that can’t easily be opened by children. There are many unregulated toys bought online and household appliances, containing button batteries, which are not child secure.

If swallowed, button batteries react with saliva to create caustic soda (the chemical used to unblock drains) and can burn through a child’s food pipe causing internal bleeding and even death.

Please ensure that any patients who have ingested (or are suspected of ingesting) button batteries / magnetic balls are referred to an Emergency Department as a medical emergency and receive the necessary urgent assessments, investigations and treatments.

Please download a copy of the full notice and display in your surgery.

Download